Tuesday, May 24, 2011

our new addition

Yesterday, I began feeling contractions at 7:20am. They were 5-7 minutes apart which made me think this could be the day I go into labor. I went about taking care of Ty and keeping busy as usual. I either tried to convince myself that our second little boy wouldn't be born 11 days early or perhaps I just wanted more time to get things done before he arrived. I decided to begin recording the frequency of my contractions at 8:30am. I went about my Monday morning routine (changing sheets, washing laundry, cleaning the bathrooms, etc.). Is this typical of me or what? I finished packing my hospital bag, took care of Ty and completed some miscellanuous tasks. Suprisingly, Ty took an hour and a half nap in the morning, which allowed me time to be a little more productive in case the contractions continued.

I informed Allan that I was having contractions, but I wasn't sure if he needed to come home. Around 11:30am I decided he should probably leave work so we could go to the hospital. When he got home, I was not in any rush. He ate lunch while I finished some laundry. I knew we needed to head for the hospital because the pain was becoming more intense. At this point, I had steady contractions for five hours, so I knew it wasn't a false alarm. We arrived at the hospital around 12:40pm, stopping by the doctor's office on the way to let them know that we might not be making our 4:30pm appointment because I thought I was in labor. Who was I kidding? I knew I was in labor.

We were escorted to a delivery room where they put me on monitors and got me situated to check where I was at. I was dialted to a 4 and 80% effaced. A week prior, I was dialted to a 2 and 80% effaced, so there was some change. The nurse called the doctor, and they admitted me. If there was any doubt in my mind, it became clear that this was the real thing; I was having this baby.

At 1:50pm the doctor broke my water, and I received an epidural at 2:15pm. Unfortunately, this experience was much different than when I had Ty. I felt more pain this time as the epidural was being administered. I never received complete relief. In fact, I was in a lot of pain. I was progressing so quickly (dilated to an 8 and 100% effaced by 3:00pm), that there was no time for adjusting the epidural. I was able to breathe through my contractions, but I feared the delivery. I was not just feeling pressure; the pain was intense. I pushed three times on my first contraction, and he was out by the end of my second contraction. Less than 3 hours at the hospital, our "little" bundle of joy was born at 3:19pm. He weighed 8lbs. 1oz. and was 21.5 in. long. Who knew he was going to be so much bigger than Ty (6lbs. 8oz. and 20 in. long)?


Next came the task of choosing a name. I knew Allan's preference, but I wanted to be sure to choose a name that I liked, and one that fit him.

The final decision was made this morning...Oz Jonah

1 comments:

Jason+Lindi said...

How great! Bummer for epidurals that don't work so well :( Congrats!!

Post a Comment